Once the undercoat was dry it was time to paint.
I chose Taubmans 'Blue Attraction' water based enamel with a satin finish for the job. I wanted a colour that was reminiscent of 1950s pastels and this soft turquoise colour worked perfectly. I was inspired by a piece of fabric that I found on Kelani Fabric called Central Park by Kate Spain.
|After one application - pretty good coverage thanks to the undercoat.|
Once the whole thing had 2 - 3 coats of paint I left it to dry overnight then sanded back some of the corners and edges to give it a worn distressed look. I watched loads of YouTube clips on furniture distressing and most of them involved hurling a chain or a pair of pliers to damage the paint. I didn't want my cupboard to look too obviously distressed so I went easy on the sandpaper and just took a wee bit off.
Next up it was time for the stencil. I bought a wildflower stencil book on bookdepository for around $2 a while back.
Painting on the stencil is a job for a perfectionist pedantic type.. so I got my husband to do it!
I wanted the stencils to be a bit faded and worn so after dabbing on the white paint with a brush he dried it with a hair dryer then wiped off some of the paint with a damp cloth.
And here she is....
Total costs so far:
Cupboard - Free
Wallpaper samples - Free
Primer undercoat $24.00
Taubmans enamel topcoat $29.95
Leftover white enamel paint - Free
Stencil book $2
Both paints have over 3/4 left so they'll be used for other projects.
Make sure you check back next week for my post on pimping out the inside. I can't wait to put all of the little storage bits and pieces I've been collecting to use.