No Shopping Challenge Day 1 - Cold Turkey


There's a lot to love about shopping in Sydney. Every day, somewhere in this city, there is a sale. Not just a measly 5% off sale. No, I'm talking about an 80% off-holy cow-look at that discount-sale. And then there's the online sales. And eBay. And even op shopping. Don't be in denial like me, telling yourself that op shopping doesn't count.  It does. Just the other day I walked out of a Vinnie's having spent $60 on things I didn't exactly need. Self control when it comes to buying can be hard to come by in this town.

Mr J and I watched a documentary called 'I Am' recently and it got me thinking about shopping. The doco is about a Hollywood movie director who gives up his possessions and travels the world asking religious leaders, academics, poets, and scientists two questions: What is wrong with the world today? What can we do about it? It's an interesting watch.

I try to moderate the way I buy by thinking about where products are made and if they're fair trade or not. But it doesn't always work out that way, and sometimes if I'm honest, I get caught up in the moment just like anyone else.

It's not really shopping that bothers me. It's more the culture of shopping. Shopping as a recreation activity, something to do in the weekends instead of being outdoors or hanging out with the kids at home. I dislike it intensely when the kids list "look at toys" as something they'd like to do as a family activity.


Now I don't want you to go thinking that I'm one of those crazy women with fifteen identical pairs of jeans in the closet all with their labels attached. I'm not a serial shopper at all and I'm by nature very thrifty. But I am sometimes impulsive when I like something and when I look at our bank accounts I can see that there are lots of little purchases eating a large hole in our savings plan.


Which brings me back to the documentary. I had a thought as I was watching it - that I've trained myself to spend. There are always things I think I need and as we get money we go out and spend to tick things off that list. It made me think. Could I go without buying for a month, two months, three? Shamefully, as soon as I had the thought another one popped into my head. The thought was: what about the new BBQ we want to buy? And that sealed the deal. I can't even think about not buying without trying to convince myself I need to shop. Maybe it's a habit, like biting your nails or never shutting the kitchen drawer. Maybe we need to break the shopping habit so that we're no longer on consumer auto pilot.

I mulled the idea over for a few days and decided to look for some blogs written by people doing a similar challenge. I found lots of them, it seems many people are like me - trying to give up the lure of the shops and save some money at the same time. I'd find an interesting looking blog, read the opening post about the challenge, then look for the follow up posts... and find nothing. Out of the ten blogs I looked at, only one had a follow up post, and in it the writer admitted to buying a new purse!

So my pledge to you is that I will follow up. I'll tell you how I'm going, and I'll be honest if I cheat (but I'm not going to cheat). 

The only thing left is setting the parameters for the challenge.

1. No clothes shopping, toy buying, book depository shopping (my weakness), no craft supplies.
2. No thrift shopping, no markets, unless I'm window shopping.
3. Food, petrol, household expenses are allowed.
4. Gift cards are allowed but only up to the limit of the gift.
5. Any birthday presents needed during the challenge will be hand made (it's OK, I can make cool stuff).
6. The challenge starts January 1st and runs until the last day of February - maybe longer!

So my first admission to you is that I've spent the last few days furiously trying to work out how I can get things before the deadline - like if I buy it just before Jan 1st is that allowed? See, I need help.

To make this even more tricksy we're going away for a week in January on holiday. Can I really not shop on holiday? I think I can do it. I'm going to try really hard to do it - because buying stuff isn't what a family holiday should be about anyway. And if I succeed in not buying anything other than the essentials while on holiday, then keeping it up when I'm at home should be easy right?

If you're game how about joining me on a month or two of not spending. Kind of like a post Christmas detox don't you think? Wish me luck, I think I may need it.





14 comments:

  1. Hi Becs
    I've been following your blog for some time and found that this post really resonated with me. The thought of not shopping made my blood run cold! I'd certainly be trying to beat the start of the challenge by stockpiling things "just in case". I'm not a spendthrift but enjoy the opportunities and treasures that Op shops and markets offer and am already eagerly awaiting them reopening at the end of January. So, in response to this reaction I'm going to keep a spending diary and work out what achievable changes I can make. I'll also be cheering you on with your significant challenge and looking forward to what new pleasures you uncover as a result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for your lovely words. Ill be missing the op shops for sure over the next 8 weeks but I think it will be good for me and for us as a family to learn how to say no to ourselves.

      Delete
  2. Go you Becs ... I would love to join you ... will think about my own list actually ... does B's school have a uniform? I guess that school stuff could come under household expenses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :) yes he does wear a uniform but we've already bought it. I do need to get school shoes for both kids and a school bag for Ben but we're lucky enough to get a school kids payment here every Jan and July to pay for things like that so I have that money to use. The rest of the payment ill be saving not spending!

      Delete
  3. I am not at all game to join you, which probably indicates that I really need to! I totally agree about shopping as an 'activity' I do it often and come home with things that I don't really need, but sort of do (usually for the kids so its not soooo bad...)
    I look forward reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a challenge for sure. Shopping for the kids is my weakness, especially books online. I think I'm able to justify it when I'm buying something for the kids so it makes it easier to spend! You could always try the challenge for a week and see how you go!

      Delete
  4. I told my husband about this and he immediately said "You should do that challenge"! I'm filled with such horror at the thought though trying it for a week sounds like a good short fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! You never know, after a week you might feel like you can stretch it to two. They say it takes a fortnight to break a habit so I'm hoping when I get to the two week mark it'll be easier. Today was fine but the weekend is going to be hard I reckon.

      Delete
  5. I'll join you. I tried it myself a couple of years ago (my aim was no more clothes or accessories) and it went fine for about 1 month (yes, ONE month!!!) until I saw a ring I just had to have - so as not to break my oath, I asked my boyfriend to buy it for me. hahaha.
    I also don't buy expensive things but, like you say, all those little purchases add up and eat a hole in the savings account. And a week or so later, I think to myself - why on earth did I buy that, I already have four black crossover tops with 3/4 length sleeves...
    So - no more jewellery, clothes, shoes, accessories, knickknacky things for the house. I commit myself to that for 3 months. I'll let you know how I do. Good luck to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay go you! That's awesome. Let me know how you're getting on. Tell me if you want to buy something and I'll remind you why you're doing this and you can do the same for me :)

      Delete
  6. Will be following this with interest! I did a month last year buying nothing but food stuff , and another buying nothing new
    (http://al-wrightbeingus.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/12-months-of-greening-august-buy.html) . I mostly did OK, but as you'll see if you check out the blog post, I ended up having to buy a new ipod (needed it for my job) :( It felt good. I've only this morning realised that 2 of my past favourite things to do - trawling sale catalogues and checking out the clearance sale racks at shops, no longer fill me with pleasure, but instead make me feel kinda sick. I hope you do well, and as I am trying to reduce 'stuff' in our house, think I might join you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Tracey. What I'm really hoping to gain is a change in my attitude to buying like what you describe with sale catalogues and clearance racks. I'd like to be more aware when I'm spending after this is over. By the way, I read your blog often and love your posts. The one you wrote about being a homemaker and that being your job really resonated with me. I think about it from time to time, especially now with my youngest about to start school. I've started to get a lot of the "so when are you going back to work" questions. I probably will get some part time work, but there also needs to be someone at home to be me! It's good to remind myself that being at home is an important job too. So thank you for that :)

      Delete
  7. Hey Becs. I follow your blog, but found this post on someone else's blog :)
    I would join you, but I don't need to as I only spend on bills, fuel and groceries lol. Lucky me hey? :)

    Good Luck and I will be following with interest to see how it goes
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! How are you finding the challenge so far?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...